Is there anything more frustrating than sitting in silence with someone you’re trying to get to know? It’s like the air is suddenly filled with awkwardness. You rack your brain for something, anything to say, but before you can even open your mouth, the other person has already bailed.
If only some topics were guaranteed to start a conversation. Topics that everyone could relate to. Topics that would make it easy for both of you to share your thoughts and feelings.
Well, lucky for you, I’ve compiled a list of the top 7 topics guaranteed to start a conversation. So next time you’re stuck at a party or on a first date and don’t know what to talk about, give one of these a try!
Why are starters so important in a conversation?
Starters are important in a conversation for a few reasons.
- First, they help to set the tone for the remainder of the conversation. For example, starting a conversation with a joke lets the other person know that you’re looking to keep things light and fun.
- Second, starters can help to break the ice and make the other person feel more comfortable. This is especially true if you’re meeting someone for the first time.
- Third, starters allow you to control the direction of the conversation. By asking questions or making statements, you can steer the conversation in whatever direction you want it to go.
So next time you’re stuck in a rut, remember that starters are your best friend. With a bit of finesse, they can help to get things moving again.
Who doesn’t love food?
There are all sorts of great conversation starters about food. One classic example is to ask people about their favorite foods. This can lead to interesting discussions about different cultures and cuisines.
Another great conversation starter is to ask people about their least favorite foods. This can be a fun way to bond over shared dislikes and lead to some hilarious stories.
Food is also a great topic of conversation when traveling. If you’re ever in a new city or country, talk with someone about the local cuisine. You’ll learn all sorts of new and exciting things and might even try something you would never have otherwise.
Here are some examples of starters about food:
- What’s your favorite cuisine?
- What’s the best restaurant in town?
- What’s your favorite food?
- What’s your go-to order when you dine out?
- What’s the worst meal you’ve ever had?
- What’s your favorite dish to cook at home?
- What’s your least favorite food?
- If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
- Do you have any dietary restrictions?
- Food trucks and street food – yay or nay?
People love talking about their favorite teams, players, and historical moments.
Sports can be a great conversation starter, especially if you’re in the presence of other sports fans. From discussing your favorite teams and players to discussing upcoming games and rivalries, there are plenty of topics to discuss regarding sports.
You can even bring fantasy sports into the mix and compare notes on who you think will do well this season. And if you’re feeling extra daring, why not try your hand at predicting the outcomes of upcoming games?
Here are some starters about sports:
- Who’s your favorite team?
- Which sport do you like watching the most?
- Do you have any players that you particularly admire?
- What’s the most memorable sporting event you’ve ever seen?
- What’s your go-to strategy when watching a big game?
- Who do you think is the best player in their sport right now?
- Do you have any predictions for the upcoming season?
- What was the best game you’ve ever seen?
- Do you play any sports yourself?
- Which player do you think is the most underrated in their field?
So, If you’re ever stuck in a conversation with someone who loves sports, don’t be afraid to ask them questions about the latest games or their predictions for the upcoming season.
What if I don’t know anything about sports?
No worries! You don’t have to be a huge sports fan to have an interesting conversation about it. Even if you don’t know much about the teams or players, you can still ask questions and show an interest in what they’re saying. You might even pick up a few things along the way and become an expert yourself. Either way, it’s a great topic that can lead to entertaining and exciting conversations.
Everyone loves to travel.
Travel is another great conversation starter. Ask people about their favorite places they’ve visited, what they would recommend to someone visiting a particular city or country, or even just chat about upcoming trips and where everyone wants to go. You can also talk about different cultures and traditions and which places have made the biggest impression on people’s lives.
Here are some conversation starters about travel:
- What’s your favorite place you’ve ever visited?
- What was the best thing you did when traveling?
- If you could visit anywhere in the world, where would it be?
- What country has the best food?
- What’s the most interesting cultural experience you’ve ever had while traveling?
- What tips do you have for someone visiting a specific city or country?
- Do you have any upcoming trips planned?
- Which places have made the biggest impression on you?
- What was the most memorable moment from your travels?
- Do you like to travel alone or with a group?
Music is another great conversation starter.
Find out what kinds of music people like or their favorite bands and artists. You can also talk about concerts you’ve been to or ones you’re looking forward to seeing in the future. Or, you can ask what kind of music they listen to while working or studying. Music is a great way to connect people and learn more about their tastes and interests.
Here are some conversation starters about music:
- What’s your favorite genre of music?
- Who are your top three favorite musicians or bands?
- Do you prefer live concerts or studio recordings?
- Have you ever seen a musical performance in person?
- What kind of music do you like to listen to while working or studying?
- Which artist has had the biggest influence on your life?
- Do you have any upcoming concerts that you’re looking forward to attending?
- Which song always makes you smile?
- If you had to pick one album to listen to for the rest of your life, what would it be?
No matter which conversation starter you choose, your conversation is sure to be exciting and engaging. So don’t be afraid to ask questions and learn more about the people around you.
Movies and TV shows.
When it comes to finding things to talk about, movies and TV shows are always a safe bet. Whether you’re discussing your favorite film or debating the merits of the latest blockbuster, there’s endless fodder for conversation. And, of course, it’s always fun to gossip about your favorite celebrities. Moreover, movies and TV can also provide a springboard for discussing larger issues, such as politics and current events.
Here are some starters about movies:
- What’s your favorite movie or TV show? If you are both fans of the same movie or TV show, you can discuss your favorite scenes or characters. This is a great way to get to know someone and find common ground.
- Which actor or actress would you like to see in a certain role? What’s the best movie you’ve seen in the last year?
- If you could remake any movie, which one would it be?
- Who’s your favorite celebrity?
- Do you follow any TV shows or movies closely?
- Do you prefer blockbuster movies or independent films?
- What do you think of the latest season of…
- Do you prefer watching movies in theaters or at home?
- Who is your favorite director, and why?
- Have you seen any great new shows lately that you’d recommend?
- Are there any movies or shows you think everyone should watch?
- Do you have any upcoming movies or TV shows you’re looking forward to watching?
- Which genre of movies do you prefer and why?
- What’s the best movie you’ve seen this year?
- Are there any classic films that you love to watch again and again?
So next time you’re stuck for something to say, try bringing up your favorite movies and TV shows. You might be surprised at how easy it is to connect with someone when you have something in common.
Hobbies and interests.
When you’re trying to start a conversation with someone new, it can be tough to know what to say. You don’t want to say something that will make the other person uncomfortable or that will make you seem like you’re not interested in them. That’s why it can be helpful to focus on topics related to the person’s hobbies and interests.
When you ask someone about their hobbies, it shows them that you’re genuinely curious about who they are and what they like to do. It also allows you to learn more about them and find out if you have any common interests.
Here are some starters about hobbies:
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- What is your favorite hobby?
- Do you have any special interests or passions?
- What do you like to collect?
- Do you enjoy any outdoor activities, such as hiking or mountain biking?
- Are there any classes that you’re taking right now?
- Do you have a favorite sports team or athlete?
- Are there any books, podcasts, or other media that you enjoy?
- What are some of your favorite places to visit?
No matter who you’re talking to, asking about their hobbies is a great way to start a conversation. It helps break the ice and can even lead to discovering new interests that you have in common.
So don’t be afraid to ask questions and learn more about the people around you. Who knows, maybe you’ll find a new hobby or make a great connection with someone!
Family is a great topic to discuss when you’re getting to know someone. It can provide insight into the person’s life and help you connect over shared experiences. Plus, talking about family can feel like a safe, comfortable subject that allows both of you to open up and get to know each other better.
Here are some starters about family:
- Who are the members of your family?
- Do you have any brothers or sisters?
- What kind of activities do you and your family enjoy together?
- Where did you grow up, and what was it like there?
- What was it like growing up in your family?
- Do you have any siblings?
- Do your parents still live in the same house you grew up in?
- How often do you get to see your extended family?
- Are there any traditions that your family has during special occasions or holidays?
Discussing family can be a great way to learn more about someone and make them feel heard and seen. So why not give it a try the next time you’re getting to know someone? You might just find that talking about your families helps you connect in unexpected ways.
With these conversation topics in mind, you should be well on your way to having interesting conversations with people. Keep it lighthearted, and don’t be afraid to ask questions or get a little personal. Let me know if you have any questions. Most importantly, enjoy the conversations and get to know the person you’re talking to better! Good luck!
Meet Anna West! A connoisseur of all things stylish, Anna has an innate ability to weave the latest in fashion trends seamlessly into her writings. But her expertise doesn’t stop at fashion for modern women. Within the folds of her articles, you’ll also find a sprinkle of home decoration wisdom, a dash of pet care advice, and thoughtful insights on relationships. While fashion remains her forte, Anna’s multifaceted perspective ensures that her readers get a well-rounded dose of inspiration for various facets of life. Dive into Anna’s world, and discover a blend of style, elegance, and practical wisdom. Stay informed, inspired, and always in vogue with Anna West.